Subscribe Us

header ads

Wazaif

header ads

CAN A MUSLIM SAY R.I.P. FOR A DEAD PERSON?


CAN A MUSLIM SAY R.I.P. FOR A DEAD PERSON?



*QUESTIONS:*
*1)* Is it allowed for a muslim to say RIP (Rest in Peace) for a dead person (both muslim and non-muslim)?

*2)* Are we allowed to buy graves for ourselves in advance? Also, if so, do we pay zakat on the value of it, since it may considered an asset, and how do we calculate its value?

*3)* I have a dilemma. Alhamdolillah, I make regular donation for the mosque construction, I also have some loan on me as well, e.g. Education loan (OSAP). I have been thinking that i should divert the donation money towards paying off my loan, but i feel bad to stop making donation for the mosque.

*ANSWER:*
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

*1)* R.I.P. effectively is a dua for the deceased. Muslims have been prohibited from making dua for those who have passed away on kufr. Therefore, it will not be permissible to say r.i.p. for non-Muslims. R.I.P. is commonly used amongst non-Muslims therefore; it is advisable that one does not use it. It will be better rather to use dua’s such as رحمه الله تعالى (May Allah Ta’ala have mercy on him) and similar type of dua’s for muslims.

*2)* It is permissible to buy ones grave in advance. Our illustrious fuqaha mention that one will be rewarded if he prepares his own grave.
There will be no zakat on the grave.

*3)* One should pay his debts first. However, one should continue contributing to the Masjid even if it may be a very minimal amount as quantity does not count rather it is one’s sincerity which counts.

_And Allah knows best_

Wassalam

Post a Comment

0 Comments